The latest update for Apple’s operating system, Apple iOS 4.3, has hit the market today, two days earlier than expected. Here's a brief overview of what's new.
The new firmware update ushers in a host of improvements for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users, including speedier browsing times and the ability to turn your phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot.
The update is compatible with iPhone 4s, iPhone 3GSs, Apple iPads and the iPod Touch (third and fourth generation models only). The iPad 2, which has yet to ship in Australia, will come with iOS 4.3 pre-installed.
Multi-track recording and iMovie video editing will also become available, with HD sharing capabilities.
The new update also boasts some improvements specific to the iPad. The iPad switch can now be defined as a mute, lock or a rotational lock button. FaceTime, previously only available on iPhones, will now work between both smartphone and iPad devices.
But by far the most intriguing new feature is the ability to turn all iPhones into a personal Wi-Fi hotspot. The iOS upgrade allows users to share the iPhone's 3G connection with up to five Wi-Fi devices.
You can download the Apple iOS 4.3 software update here.
Here's a full list of the update's new features, as outlined by Apple:
- Personal Hotspot
- Share iPhone 4 cellular data connection with up to 5 devices (combination of up to 3 Wi-Fi, 3 Bluetooth, and 1 USB)
- iTunes Home Sharing
- Play music, movies and TV shows from a shared iTunes library on a Mac or PC (requires iTunes 10.2)
- New AirPlay features
- Play videos from the Photos app including the Camera Roll album, iTunes previews, enabled third-party apps and websites on Apple TV
- Play slideshows from Photos on Apple TV using transitions available on Apple TV
- HD video out using the Apple Digital AV Adapter
- View 720p HD videos from Videos app, iPod app, Photos, YouTube, Safari, Keynote, and enabled third-party apps on an HDMI display
- Ping features
- Push notifications for comments and follow requests
- Post and Like songs directly from the Now Playing screen
- Parental controls
- New Settings
- Messages setting for number of times to repeat an alert
- iPad side switch setting to lock screen rotation or mute audio notifications and sound effects
- Single tap conference call dialing with a pause to send a passcode
- Bug fixes